I have a lot of patients that have obstructive sleep apnea and I’ve used the CPAP for years, or I’ve tried the CPAP and it has not been a comfortable experience for them. One resource, one treatment we can provide for those patients is a appliance that they wear in their sleep that will help them breathe. One thing I hear from patients is, “My spouse snores. I can’t sleep. I have to wear earplugs when I sleep.” Well, these sleeping appliances take the snoring away. There’s just no snoring anymore. And that patient that’s wearing the appliance sleeps better, has more energy during the day, isn’t as lethargic during the day.
A lot of the patients that wear these appliances see changes in their blood pressure. They’re not taking the blood pressure medications that they were taking before because they’re sleeping and breathing better. And to be able to change somebody’s health in that respect is huge. I mean, it’s such a rewarding experience to help patients sleep because, I mean, rest and sleep is such a huge thing for people these days. You know, it just gives people a new outlook at life. So, being able to help them become healthier and feel better is a pretty rewarding experience.
Rest Easy With a Custom-Made Oral Appliance
Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common sleep disorder we treat. It occurs when the tissues in your throat relax too much while you sleep and close your throat. This causes snoring, waking up gasping for air, dry mouth, morning headaches, and daytime fatigue. If any of these symptoms sound familiar, come in for treatment.
A CPAP machine is often used to keep your airways open during the night. Unfortunately, it can be difficult for many patients to wear while they sleep. Our team will create a custom-made sleep appliance that gently shifts your jaw forward. You can expect these benefits from this CPAP alternative:
- Effective Relief – It stops the tissues in your throat from closing without using pressurized air.
- Comfortable to Wear – Your sleep appliance is customized for you, making it easy to wear.
- Quieter at Night – A CPAP machine can be noisy during the night. A custom sleep appliance is a soundless solution that won’t interrupt your sleep.
- Easy to Pack – If you like to travel, a sleep guard can be easily packed alongside your other oral health supplies.
- Less Disruptive – Since a mouthguard has no mask or tubing, it’s easier for you and your bed partner to get used to it at bedtime.